Sunday 3 March 2013

Eighth Reflection

   In the novel, the characters feel confused about their ID. They always ask "Am I a Chinese or a Canadian?" I can understand this feeling because although they speak Cantonese at home, the culture and environment they are in are Canadian. Because they are born in Canada, they feel like more of a Canadian than a Chinese. Sek even wants to give up learning Chinese, because he wants to be a Canadian and keep says that he is a Canadian. As for me, because I was born in China and spent 14 years in China, I consider myself as a Chinese.

2 comments:

  1. So, do you ever think you will stay in Canada or go back to China? If you were to stay in Canada, and live here for 20 years, would you consider yourself Canadian? Would you change your Chinese lifestyle and values? or maintain them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to return to China after university because my entire family and a large circle of my friends still live there.
      If I were to live in Canada for 20 years, I would still consider myself Chinese because I spent my formative years in China, and therefore, identify best with Chinese people.
      However, my parents raised me in quite a progressive and modern way. As a result, my lifestyle and values do not follow the old traditional Chinese ways. I am grateful to my parents for raising me this way because I feel a stronger connection to Canadian culture.

      Delete