Friday 1 March 2013

Second Reflection


After reading the first 50 pages of “The Jade Peony”, I felt sorry for the main character, Jook Liang, the only girl in her family of three children. Jook states that she feels useless at home, even her grandmother says “Jook-Liang, if you want a place in this world, do not be born a girl-child.”
Even though today is 80 years after the setting in this novel, some Chinese parents still feel that boys are better than girls and thus favor boys, especially the elders. Some uneducated Chinese parents even starve their daughters to death while feeding their sons expensive food. Fortunately, both my parents are well-educated and I am so loved and cherished given I am also an only child. Furthermore,  all my cousins are girls, so I do not feel I am treated differently than anyone in my extended family.

No comments:

Post a Comment