Sunday 3 March 2013

Seventh Reflection

     In 1940, Grandmama died. After her death, Sek was extremely sad when he thinks of all the sweet memories between him and Grandmama. When Grandmama died, Sek is only 7 years old. He cannot even fully understand "death", he used to think that she would be around forever, and she tells him that she would never leave him. After a month of Grandmama's death, Sek states that he sees Grandmama in the house, shutting the door, smiling at him. As I have mentioned before, even though everyone in Chinatown believed in ghost, every family member but Liang think Sek is crazy and send him to see a herbalist. When I was reading this part of the story, I was not sure if Grandamama was really in the house looking after Sek, or it was just because Sek missed her so much that he began to see her in his mind.

2 comments:

  1. After death, Chinese believe that the ghost will come back the next night to "check on" the family to make sure they are okay. So of course, people always say they "heard" something at night. I know people who swear they heard something or saw a light (left on) flicker. Lots of ghost stories. tons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? I've never heard about this superstition. I'll have to ask my mom about it. But I better not ask her before bedtime because I'm terrified of ghosts!

      Delete